Monday, January 09, 2006

Family Reunion

So today sees the start of the Macworld Expo in San Francisco. Sherman likes to refer to it as a "family reunion". There's much speculation as to what Steve Jobs will introduce this year in his keynote address slated for Tuesday in San Francisco. Perhaps a new iPod Shuffle? A new iPod to replace the Shuffle? Whatever it is, everyone will want one for sure. For all the latest updates see Macworld. This link includes daily updates and blogs from attendees.

Now for a treat from Sherman favorite Milosh. Milosh shared a link to his stunning video for "You Make Me Feel". You have to see this! It's not like any other video you have seen. I guarantee! So beautiful and fitting for the song. It also uses some technology that Sherman had never seen to that point. Go check it out and buy his album. You will be thanking me for some time to come! Yes, I am gushing about Milosh and I know it. We only have to wait 2 months for his next release. Meme will be out on March 7th! Let the countdown begin!

Over the weekend, Sherman discovered a new band out of the UK that is dedicated to bringing back the soft rock sound of the 70's (it's never been out of my heart)!!! They are making brand new Guilty Pleasures! The band is called The Feeling! This band of twentysomething boys from London and Sussex have truly captured the grandeur of the 70's (dare I say the "feeling" of the 70's?). Love it! They are already stealing the hearts of everyone in the UK and hope to do the same over hear. Keane had a bit of a soft rock thing going, but they were definitely a current band forging their own sound. The Feeling truly reproduce that magical pop sound of the 70's. Their single "Never Be Lonely" is something that could have been on the charts alongside 10 cc or Supertramp! They claim to be "soft-rock archeologists"! I am so glad someone finally sees that era as a time period worth musically mining. They are everything you could want in a 70's band and more! A very welcome sound here in 2006! I am in love with "The Feeling"!!!

For those of you who are lucky enough to live in NYC, you are blessed with all kinds of choices for going out on the town and hearing some serious house music. Probably not as many choices as you used to have, but many more than Seattle for sure. The past two years has seen the birth and growth of the club Cielo. Located in the hip and oh-so trendy Meat Packing District, Cielo is THE spot-to-sweat of the moment. This popularity has lead to the release of their first compilation. I was a bit hesitant at first and then remembered my deep love for the "Lazy Dog" compilations. Those comps successfully reproduced the sound and vibe of my favorite club of all time, so why not try Cielo. I'm really glad I did. It's a great two disc mix of super delicious house. Disc one is mixed by club co-owner Nicolas Matar and is aptly titled "Move". The disc launches with a jazzy little number from Jazzanova and continues to travel through a non-stop dance marathon of jazzy latin-tinged house. The standout track on the first disc is the Cielo commissioned "Rideline" from Dubtribe Soundsystem. This is a perfect track from start to finish. Dubtribe at it's finest. Moonbeam's vocals have never been better. Warms my heart. Quintessential Dubtribe! Mixed by Sunshine exclusively for this compilation at the request of Matar, it is worth the price of the disc. Bliss!!! Disc 2 ("Groove") is brought to us by Cielo and Pacha resident DJ, Willie Graff. Although Disc 1 includes my favorite track on the compilation, Graff's effort is a stronger mix. A groovy blend of instrumental and vocal house that moves soulfully and seamlessly from Osunlade to Claude Monnet. This disc is perfect for a pre-funk with your friends. Be sure to listen out for "Careless Butterfly" with vocals by Kendra.

Today we offer up a Guilty Pleasure by a woman who I don't think I had ever seen until I googled her. She had one "hit" and I use that term loosely. Her name is Charlene and the song "I've Never Been To Me". If you click on the song title, it leads to a spooky graphic and a song file for your listening pleasure. Not surprisingly, this was her only hit. It reached #3 on the charts in 1982, but was originally released in 1977. She was signed to Motown Records in '73, but was dropped in 1980 prior to the re-release of her only hit. How many of us can say the following.....

"Oh, I've been to Georgia and California and anywhere I could run
I took the hand of a preacher man and we made love in the sun
But I ran out of places and friendly faces because I had to be free
I've been to paradise but I've never been to me
."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home