Friday, November 25, 2005

Welcome Back Beth!!!


Just finished listening to the first single from the forthcoming Beth Orton release, Comfort of Strangers. The single is entitled "Conceived". It is so good to hear her voice again. Great track. Already stuck in my head. Beth composed all of the songs on the 14 track album except for the title track which was written along with Jim O'Rourke (Sonic Youth) and M. Ward. The album was recorded last spring in approximately a two week period of time. Quick by anyones standards. If this single is any indication of the tone of the album, it will be yet another success. Her songwriting never ceases to amaze me. One of the lines in the first single really struck me "i didn't ask to be conceived in a loveless embrace, still we learn to be a warm sun, round a very cold galaxy." February can't come soon enough!

Picked up a CD on Wednesday that I had been thinking of getting because I loved the cover, but then I read a bit about it and it really intrigued me. Anytime people use the words warm and soulful alongside minimal techno, I need to hear the results. SO glad I picked this one up. It's the first compilation from German House label Freude-am-Tanzen. There are quite of few recognizable names on this one from Gamat 3000 to DJ Koze. It had me from track one. This is a nice combination of vocals and tech sounds that result in serious dancefloor urges. I would love to hear some of this in the clubs. This disc may start out minimally, but it really builds. It takes a bit of a journey through some of the finest electronic beats coming out of Germany today. We can thank Kompakt for this one, as they are the distributor. I highly recommend this one for gettin' your dance on folks. It's a rump shaker for sure. Just wait for the last track from DJ Koze. Let's just say it's called "Smornin". Really niiiiceeee. On that note, head on over to Pitchfork's site for their Year end Techno series that started this week! Just another reason to make their site a daily stop.

Now for today's Guilty Pleasure. This is actually a current release. In fact, it just hit the shelves last week. It comes from one Ms. Britney Spears. Yes, mama Britney. I am not writing her off yet. Yes, I do wish she would lose the loser of a husband she has, but I know my Britney will make a comeback. She may have a ways to go, but I believe she can do it! In the meantime, we have been given B In The Mix, The Remixes. All of Brit-Brit's finest remixes to date done by the likes of Junkie XL, Dave Aude', Peter Rauhofer and Jacques Lu Cont. If "I'm A Slave 4 You" doesn't do it for you, I'm afraid there might be something wrong with you. This is an entire DISC of guilty pleasures. Just one after another pumped up for your dancing and listening pleasure. Come on you know you love it!!!!

On that note, I'm going to put on a little Britney and await her comeback! Have a great one! Enjoy your holiday weekend! Be Safe! Steer clear of Wal Mart!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home