Monday, November 28, 2005

Snow in Seattle and the DeFranco Family

I have to laugh, as they are predicting snow for Seattle tonight. This is such a funny thing to me. Panic follows snowfall in this city. We have something like 20 plows for the entire metro area and they can't handle it. Two inches will grind this city to a halt. We have already started the "storm watch", "snow watch", "winter's grip" teasers on all of the local tv stations. Who knows, Sherman Jr. may be sledding at this time tomorrow! Fingers crossed. Hope you all had a fantastic Thanksgiving weekend! Full tummies for everyone!

Now onto the music. I spent some time with the new release from Imogen Heap, Speak For Yourself. I have been familiar with Imogen from her work as lead singer of Frou Frou. For those who may not know Frou Frou, I am hoping you saw the film Garden State Zach Braff's directorial debut from last year, produced one of the most surprising successful soundtracks in years. Frou Frou's song "Let Go" was THE ideal track to play in the final airport scene. Rent this film!
It is fantastic. I guarantee you will feel the same way about that song as I do. After that track, I wanted to find more about Frou Frou. This is when I discovered that Frou Frou was a two person group consisting of Imogen Heap and Guy Sigsworth. Guy has written and produced for Madonna, Bjork, Seal, Britney Spears and Bebel Gilberto. His affinity for the female voice led to his producing a track on Imogen's first solo release, I, Megaphone. After going back and listening to that release, I remembered independent radio playing the track "Come Here Boy". That's where I had heard that unique, sensous and dynamic voice. Then I sought out Details, the debut album from Frou Frou released in 2002. That is the disc containing the track from Garden State, not to mention several other fantastic songs including "Must Be Dreaming" and "Good to Be in Love". Now comes Imogen's second solo release, Speak For Yourself. Imogen re-mortgaged her London flat and self released this album on Megaphonic. This was worth it all! This is an amazing piece of work. This lyrics work their way into your head and the melodies find their way under you skin. It's a uniquely beautiful record. There is no one else out there with this sound. Her voice is at times warm and sensual, but can feel cool and remote, as well. The music is glitchy and electronic. Stand out tracks for me are "Just For Now" and "Goodnight & Go". The holidays are around the corner and this is the ideal gift for anyone who is looking for something different than the average female fueled CD. Give this release a listen!!

I really felt like taking a trip back in time this morning so today's guilty pleasure goes back to 1973. "Heartbeat It's a Lovebeat" by Tony Defranco & the Defranco Family. This song was the #1 selling single of 1973. That came as a surprise to even me and I was a fan. Who couldn't be? Look at those faces. There was something for everyone. Cute girls and boys singing in groovy matching outfits...hormones blazing! Check out this picture of Tony DeFranco today. You have to go to his site and read his blog. Yes, he has a blog. I love it! What could be more exciting than keeping up with the DeFrancos?? This is where we get to learn that he coaches his son's hockey team! Tony...save the last dance for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home