Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Oh Canada


The new Boards of Canada disc seems to be the only thing Sherman will play lately! I can understand why! This disc is gorgeous. Well worth the wait! It's been 3 years since Mike & Marcus brought us Geogaddi. That was a much darker and moodier release. Campfire Headphase does not share those traits. In fact, it's a blissful and dreamy record. Two words that I cannot get enough of. Whether I am strolling to work, dozin' on the couch, or driving mini-v, this disc fits. "Chromakey Dreamcoat" seems to be the standout track for me. It's borderline hypnotic. It was playing while I was shopping in Taschen in over the weekend and fit the mood perfectly. Eye and ear candy all at once. Perfection! I think this is a disc that we will all be hearing a lot from and rightfully so. I just hope it doesn't become the soundtrack to everything from automobiles to hip department stores! This is one that I suggest you enjoy in it's entirety. It's textures can only be appreciated in one single absorption.

Now to a little feature Sherman likes to call "Today's Guilty Pleasure". This is a simple concept really. Pick a song that for some reason or another has become a guilty pleasure. Old or new. Guilty pleasures come in all sizes and shapes. Today I would like to draw attention to a track that chokes me up each time I hear it. It is brought to you by Gilbert O'Sullivan. Irish-born balladeer and AM radio stud. The song is quite simply "Alone Again Naturally". I am not sure what it is about this song, but I could hear it every single day. Each time I hear it, I well up. It's just that simple. A tear-jerker and heart-breaker. Do yourself a favor...find it and listen. The tears will follow!


"it seems to me that there are more hearts broken in the world than can't be mended...left unattended." what do we do? what do we do?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home