Thursday, November 17, 2005

Have we spoke of Antony?


Antony and the Johnsons. Really that should be enough said, but I know not everyone is aware of this amazing talent. Most of us heard about him when he captured this year's Mercury Prize in the UK. I had been hearing and reading so much about him for so long, but really didn't experiment until someone I truly respect mentioned his music. After that, I took a listen and could not believe what I was hearing. Was I listening to Nina Simone? No, it was Antony. Pure genius. This man really is a one-of-a-kind talent. His lyrics are heartbreaking, piercing and at times painful, his voice is other worldly and his presence is stirring. I had the tremendous pleasure of seeing him perform live a short time ago, and was moved to tears. Pure beauty. Pure talent. Pure soul. Immense intensity. I have made a vow to myself that I will see him live whenever given the opportunity. You must go to this link "animations" and watch the videos for two of his songs. So moving. It is not only Antony who is so captivating. He has surrounded himself with some of the finest musicians I have heard. Rob Moose on guitar is the ideal accompaniment to Antony's lush vocals. He uses his instrument as if it were another voice and it brings chills. Please pick up I Am A Bird Now. It is haunting, stunning and something you will never forget. This is like nothing you have ever heard before. Please pay special attention to "You Are My Sister" with guest vocals by Boy George. It defies explanation. Gorgeous.

Just heard that TOSCA will be performing in the US for the first time in December. Richard Dorfmeister and Rupert Huber will be in Chicago, D.C., New York, LA and San Francisco the first week of December. They will be bringing vocalists along for each city. This is not to be missed. Wish there was a Seattle date, but what are ya gonna do? Maybe Sherman and I should roadtrip! If you live in the New York area, head over to Giant Step's site for the chance to win some tix! Plus, get acquainted with that great site. A must for music lovers! If you don't own any Tosca, Suzuki is my favorite, but the new one is worth your time, as well.

Now for Sherman Jr. to pick today's Guilty Pleasure. Today is strictly a random pick. No reason. Nothing to do with anything we wrote about today. Just a pleasure of the guiltiest kind. "Reminiscing" by Little River Band. This one holds way too many memories for me (none of which I will share). You can't help but love it right from the start. "Friday night it was late I was walkin' you home, we got down to the gate and I was dreamin' of the night". I don't think I need to say anymore. This is slow dance music at it's best! Take a look at them today! I wonder how "The Lonesome Loser" is doing??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home